Benjamin Choi, Consultant, Oldham, Li & Nie; Managing Director, OLN IP Services
Cermain Cheung, Consultant, Oldham, Li & Nie
Maximising the Value of Intellectual Property Assets in Your Business to Attract Investment and Capitalization
World Intellectual Property Day is observed annually on April 26. The event was established by the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) to raise awareness of IP rights and recognise the role of IP in stimulating innovation and creation. SMEs often have an edge over large corporations when it comes to innovation, agility, and trailblazing. Their intangible assets, such as trademarks, copyrights, patents, designs, domain names, and others, often represent the largest portion of their business valuation.
IP valuation can reflect the equity and monetary value of a business supported by IP assets and exploitation. However, for SMEs that don't have regular IP audits, it can be challenging to assess the value of their IP assets. Some IP rights, such as trademarks or generate revenue, are easier to evaluate, while others, such as non-registered copyright or trade secrets, are more complicated.
Join us for this breakfast briefing where our speakers, Benjamin Choi, Intellectual Property lawyer, and Cermain Cheung, specialist in Startups and Emerging Companies, will address the following:
- Types of IP assets
- Key basis of valuation
- Common methodology in valuation of IP assets
- Ratio of IP forming the entire business equity
- Key note cases of capitalising a brand business in Hong Kong
- How to preserve and maximise the value of your IP assets
About the speakers
Benjamin Choi is an Intellectual Property Consultant at Oldham, Li & Nie (OLN). He is highly experienced in trade mark prosecution in Hong Kong, China and overseas and in the management of trade mark portfolios for international brands and institutional clients, for over two decades.
Benjamin is recognised as one of the leading Intellectual Property practitioners in Hong Kong: he is named Silver Tier Individual in Trade Mark Prosecution and Strategy in Hong Kong by World Trademark Review 1000 and also ranked by The Legal 500, Who’s Who Legal and Doyle’s Guide.
Outside of Hong Kong, Benjamin is active in the major international IP associations - INTA (member since 2009 and currently serving the INTA Bulletins Committee), APAA (member since 2008 and currently a Committee Member of the Hong Kong Group) and Marques (member since 2015 and currently serving the IP Emerging Issues Committee).
Cermain is a corporate lawyer specializing in startups, venture capital and cross-border transactions. She has been practicing corporate and commercial law in Hong Kong since 2009.
Cermain’s practice focuses on fund raising, M&A, venture capital and private equity investment, joint ventures, cross-border investments and general corporate counselling. Her clients operate in E-Commerce, Software Development, F&B, Retail, Entertainment, Real Estate, Logistics, Franchised Business, and Trading. With her work motto, "Growing with clients, becoming friends"?, Cermain strives to be part of the long-term success of each of them!
Cermain is also a wonderful wife of an entrepreneur who makes her understand the real pain and gain of running a business.
5:00 PM Registration starts
5:30 – 6:30 PM Presentation
6:30 – 7:00 PM Networking with canapes and wine
- Member: HK$350
Terms & Conditions
- Reservations in advance are required. Please consider your booking confirmed unless notified otherwise.
- Cancellations must be made in writing 24 hours prior to the event. No shows will be charged.
- This event is closed to the media.
- The event will be cancelled if the No.8 Typhoon signal or the Black Rain Storm warning is in force.
- By attending this event, you agree to be photographed, recorded, and/or filmed and give permission to use your likeness in promotional and/or marketing materials.
- For further information please email [email protected]
- All payments for this event need to be settled by credit card through PayPal. Please note you do not need a PayPal account to complete payment.