Supported by the Environment & Energy Committee
Edwin Lau, Green Earth's Founder and Executive Director
Joseph Law, CLP Power's Senior Director (Planning & Development)
Simon Ng, Business Environment Council's Director (Policy & Research)
As with other places around the world, Hong Kong faces multiple climate-related threats, which include among other things, rising temperatures and extreme weather conditions. As part of the international effort to address climate change, Hong Kong has embarked on the process of formulating its own long-term decarbonisation strategy up to 2050 by next year following the Mainland's accession to the 2016 Paris Agreement.
The Council for Sustainable Development is currently gathering views as part of a public engagement exercise to help draw up a decarbonisation strategy for Hong Kong and has identified three key areas for public discussion:
1. Transition Towards a Low-Carbon Society
2. Reducing Energy Use and Further Decarbonising Electricity Generation
3. Low Carbon Transport in a Smart City
We are delighted to have invited Joseph Law, CLP Power's Senior Director (Planning & Development), and Simon Ng, Business Environment Council's Director (Policy & Research), to speak on measures and strategies that the power and transport sectors could adopt to reduce carbon emissions. They will be joined by Edwin Lau, Green Earth's Founder and Executive Director, who will share insights on ways to modify individual habits and lifestyle that can contribute to reducing Hong Kong's carbon footprint.
About the speakers
Edwin Lau is the Founder and Executive Director of The Green Earth. He has been actively engaged in environmental protection work since the late 80s. During the period, he placed great concern on several pressing environmental topics, e.g. waste management, air pollution, climate change and energy conservation.
Joseph Law is responsible for corporate planning and strategy, tariff and regulatory management, commercial projects development as well as innovation activities of CLP Power Hong Kong Limited. Coming from a banking background, he has been in the energy sector for the past 18 years.
Simon Ng is the Director of Policy & Research at the Business Environment Council (BEC). He is responsible for BEC's work on policy advocacy, thought leadership development, and collaborative research on various environmental issues that BEC focuses on. He has over 20 years of experience in academic/policy research, project management and stakeholder's engagement.
- Members: HK$ 280
- Non-Members: HK$ 580
Terms & Conditions
- Reservations in advance are required. Please consider your booking confirmed unless notified otherwise.
- Cancellations must be made in writing 24 hours prior to the event. No shows will be charged.
- This event is closed to the media.
- The event will be cancelled if the No.8 Typhoon signal or the Black Rain Storm warning is in force.
- By attending this event, you agree to be photographed and/or filmed and give permission to use your likeness in promotional and/or marketing materials.
- For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- All payments for this event need to be settled by credit card through PayPal. Please note you do not need a PayPal account to complete payment.