Laurence Li SC, Chairman Financial Services Development Council and barrister, Temple Chambers
Thomas So, Partner, Mayer Brown and a member of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference
In conversation with David Graham, Executive Director, The British Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
The National Security Law took effect on 30 June 2020 and has attracted a considerable amount of attention, both locally and internationally. Please join two leading experts, Thomas So and Laurence Li, for a discussion with David Graham, the Executive of the Chamber, on recent developments, the implications for the business community and the important role of the judiciary and Hong Kong’s rule of law.
Join us for what will be an engaging and insightful discussion on one of the most important pieces of legislation since the handover in 1997.
Details on how to join will be sent via email by 5pm the day before the webinar.
About the speakers
Laurence Li SC practices commercial litigation with a focus on matters involving the financial markets and financial services. He regularly acts for banks, funds, listed companies, their directors and shareholders, auditors, valuers, the regulators, and the Government. Laurence speaks fluent Putonghua and also often acts in Mainland-related disputes.
Laurence is the current Chairman of the Financial Services Development Council, an advisory body to the HKSAR Government on all matters relating to the development of Hong Kong as an international financial centre.
Thomas So is a partner of Mayer Brown. He advises on shareholders disputes, property and investments litigation and disputes and PRC-related arbitration and disputes. Thomas is on a number of panel of arbitrators in Asia and is also a solicitor-advocate with rights to appear in the higher courts in Hong Kong. He holds the degrees of LLB from the University of Hull (1985), LLM from the University of Hong Kong (1993), LLB from the China University of Political Science and Law (1997) and Doctor of Laws from Tsinghua University Beijing (2005). He is also a PRC qualified lawyer since 2009 and a China-Appointed Attesting Officer (appointed by the Ministry of Justice of PRC). He was the President of the Law Society of Hong Kong (June 2016 – June 2018). He is currently Chairman of the Belt and Road Committee and Chairman of the Greater Bay Area Working Group of the Law Society of Hong Kong.
- Member: HK$140
- Non-Member: HK$250
Terms & Conditions
- Reservations in advance are required. Please consider your booking confirmed unless notified otherwise.
- Cancellations must be made in writing 24 hours prior to the event. No shows will be charged.
- This event is closed to the media.
- The event will be cancelled if the No.8 Typhoon signal or the Black Rain Storm warning is in force.
- By attending this event, you agree to be photographed, recorded, and/or filmed and give permission to use your likeness in promotional and/or marketing materials.
- For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- All payments for this event need to be settled by credit card through PayPal. Please note you do not need a PayPal account to complete payment.