Vince Cable, the former leader of the UK Liberal Democrat party 2017-19
The China Conundrum: Engagement or Conflict
There has been a sharp deterioration in relations between China and the West since what was described in the UK as a ‘Golden Era’ barely five years ago. China is now perceived as a technological, economic and military ‘threat' and China, in turn, feels threatened by a hostile - but declining - West. The events in Hong Kong have aggravated the divide.
But, at the same time, the high level of economic and financial integration continues, for the moment, despite the disruptions in post-Covid trade and despite attempts at ‘de-linking’ by the USA and through Chinese 'dual circulation’ and regulatory interventions.
Join this event to hear from Sir Vince Cable, the former leader of the Liberal Democrat party 2017-19. Vince will question whether the earlier globalisation of trade and finance, much of it centred on China, will now continue apace; or whether a process of disengagement is inevitable; or whether there will be a complex and contradictory mixture of the two.
About the speaker
Sir Vince Cable was MP for Twickenham for 20 years and Secretary of State for Business throughout the Coalition government. He worked previously as an economist in government, universities, international organisations and business including as Chief Economist at Shell.
He is author of The Storm a best-seller about the banking crisis; After the Storm, a sequel; Open Arms, a novel; Money and Power, an economic history; and latterly ~The Chinese Conundrum.
He is currently Visiting Professor at the LSE, Nottingham University and St Mary’s; a newspaper columnist (The Independent); and on the board of a start-up promoting hydrogen infrastructure.
Details on how to join will be sent via email by 5pm the day before the webinar.
- Member: HK$140
- Non-Member: HK$250
Terms & Conditions
- Reservations in advance are required. Please consider your booking confirmed unless notified otherwise.
- Cancellations must be made in writing 24 hours prior to the event. No shows will be charged.
- This event is closed to the media.
- The event will be cancelled if the No.8 Typhoon signal or the Black Rain Storm warning is in force.
- By attending this event, you agree to be photographed, recorded, and/or filmed and give permission to use your likeness in promotional and/or marketing materials.
- For further information please email [email protected]
- All payments for this event need to be settled by credit card through PayPal. Please note you do not need a PayPal account to complete payment.