2 September 2021
Ivor Morris, Partner, KPMG China
BEPS 2.0: A fundamental change to tax in Hong Kong?
In July, 133 jurisdictions, including Hong Kong, approved a statement that provides a framework for reform of existing international tax rules. It is intended that the new rules will take effect from 2023. In particular, the new rules propose a global minimum effective tax rate of at least 15% applied on a jurisdiction by jurisdiction basis. This would be challenging for jurisdictions like Hong Kong where the territorial system of taxation and various incentives can mean that many companies have an effective tax rate well below 15%. The new rules will apply to groups with a turnover in excess of EUR 750 million, although changes to domestic tax rules in response may be more wide reaching. Separately, the European Union is conducting a review of foreign source exclusion regimes such as those in Hong Kong, which may also put pressure on Hong Kong’s traditional system of low and simple tax.
The British Chamber is delighted to welcome KPMG partner, Ivor Morris, who will provide an overview of the proposals and how they can affect companies in Hong Kong, talk about common corporate arrangements that might be impacted and discuss what companies are doing to prepare for the changes.
About the speaker
Ivor Morris joined KPMG's Hong Kong office in 2009 and became a tax partner in 2017. Ivor has extensive experience of advising international clients in Hong Kong on their corporate tax matters. He works with many multinational groups and investment funds on cross-border related matters. Ivor received his Master degree in Arts from the University of Cambridge. He is a fellow member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales and serves on a number of industry and charity bodies.
This event is hosted by David Graham. Please note that walk-ins are not allowed to this event.
Ticket includes a full hot English breakfast buffet.
Please note that Business Attire is required by the Hong Kong Club - collared shirts must be worn by men, and jeans, sandals and sports shoes are not permitted. To see the full list of club rules on dresscode, please click here.
Please note that in accordance with the latest change of operational status from the Hong Kong Club, all attendees at the event are required to be fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to the event date. Please be kindly reminded to have the relevant vaccination document on hand, either the hard copy or digital form is fine.
- Member: HK$480
- Non-Member: HK$600
- Y-Network Member: HK$380
- Start-up Member: HK$380
Terms & Conditions
- Reservations in advance are required. Please consider your booking confirmed unless notified otherwise.
- Business Attire is required by the Hong Kong Club. No jeans or sports shoes.
- Cancellations must be made in writing 24 hours prior to the event. No shows will be charged.
- This event is closed to the media.
- The event will be cancelled if the No.8 Typhoon signal or the Black Rain Storm warning is in force.
- By attending this event, you agree to be photographed and/or filmed and give permission to use your likeness in promotional and/or marketing materials.
- For further information please email [email protected]
- All payments for this event need to be settled by credit card through PayPal. Please note you do not need a PayPal account to complete payment.