Laurence Lancaster, Barrister-at-law, Group Head of Tax, Sovereign Group
Marcel Treurnicht, Legal Counsel (Head of Business Development), Sovereign Trust (Hong Kong) Limited
The UK continues to present significant challenges for private clients seeking to pass wealth down to the next generation. Those expats who have retained their UK domicile face the prospect of paying 40% tax in the UK on their worldwide estate despite potentially have no assets in the UK and having not lived there for many years.
Non-UK domiciles only pay this 40% tax on UK assets they hold directly and for many years were able to plan around it by holding these assets through overseas companies. But this device has now been blocked (where the company holds UK residential property) by legislation introduced in April 2017, with the result that non-doms now face similar estate planning difficulties as their UK domiciled counterparts.
The tax planning considered in this seminar will be:
1. Excluded property trust solutions for non-UK domiciles.
2. Can UK domiciles still use trusts?
3. Family Investment Company planning for UK domiciled expats.
4. Life insurance policies written into trust: traps, pitfalls and planning.
5. Testing UK domicile: procedure, risks and costs.
About the speakers
Laurence Lancaster (LLB, LLM, TEP) is a non-practising UK barrister, specialising in UK private client and pensions taxation. His typical clients are high net worth individuals who require tax mitigation strategies and tax advice. His specialist areas include: advising on individuals’ UK residence and domicile status; UK tax treatment of trusts and other structures including close companies and life insurance policies; UK’s pension tax regime; taxation of UK residential property; estate planning; and double taxation treaty advice. As Head of Tax for Sovereign Group, he helps devise internal tax policies and strategy with a particular focus on UK tax compliance.
Marcel Treurnicht is Attorney of the High Court Cape Town, South Africa. LLM, University of Stellenbosch. Keen interest in Trusts and Corporate Restructuring for HNWI.
Ticket includes a light sandwich lunch.
- Member: HK$ 270
- Non-Member: HK$ 350
- Y-Network Member: HK$ 170
- Start-up Member: HK$ 170
Terms & Conditions
- Reservations in advance are required. Please consider your booking confirmed unless notified otherwise.
- Cancellations must be made in writing 24 hours prior to the event. No shows will be charged.
- This event is closed to the media.
- The event will be cancelled if the No.8 Typhoon signal or the Black Rain Storm warning is in force.
- By attending this event, you agree to be photographed and/or filmed and give permission to use your likeness in promotional and/or marketing materials.
- For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- All payments for this event need to be settled by credit card through PayPal. Please note you do not need a PayPal account to complete payment.