David Robertson, Investment and Business Development Director, Scottish Woodlands
Don Macleod, Partner, Turcan Connell
Scotland is leading the way in developing a vibrant, modern forestry sector. Looking forward into a future of reducing UK timber supplies and increasing global demand, investors are focusing on the potential this brings for enhancing values in the asset class which has returned over 9% per annum for commercial investors over the past 25 years.
Based on secure freehold ownership and with strong support by both the UK and Scottish Governments in both provision of generous capital grants and advantageous fiscal treatment forestry is seen as a very attractive option for individual portfolio diversification. With a maturing carbon trading base adding additional income streams and opportunities for corporate ESG integration this also provides real opportunities for larger corporate entities.
David Robertson and Don Macleod will provide a detailed overview of the potential of this asset class in a Scottish context by looking at the relevant history and the current and future drivers. They will also explore the practicalities of purchase and ownership of land in Scotland and will look at the fiscal drivers at play for those with UK tax exposure.
About the speaker
David Robertson heads the Investment Division of Scottish Woodlands, the largest independent forestry management company in Scotland, and a significant player in forestry investment in the UK. With over 30 years of experience in the industry, and 25 in management roles across Scotland he applies his practical knowledge of the forest industry and the backing of a network of local forest managers to ensure investors get the best results to meet their investment objectives.
Don Macleod has significant experience in forestry investment work, acting for a number or private and institutional clients. He is a Partner in Turcan Connell’s Land and Property Department, having started with the firm as a trainee solicitor in 2006. Don has a wide range of experience in rural matters and advises on all property matters arising on Landed Estates, farms, forests and country houses. He also regularly advises on the commercial diversification of rural land, including development options, leases, and renewable energy schemes.
Ticket includes a light sandwich lunch.
- This event is free to attend, but registration in advance is mandatory.
Terms & Conditions
- Reservations in advance are required. Please consider your booking confirmed unless notified otherwise.
- Cancellations must be made in writing 24 hours prior to the event. No shows will be charged.
- This event is closed to the media.
- The event will be cancelled if the No.8 Typhoon signal or the Black Rain Storm warning is in force.
- By attending this event, you agree to be photographed and/or filmed and give permission to use your likeness in promotional and/or marketing materials.
- For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- All payments for this event need to be settled by credit card through PayPal. Please note you do not need a PayPal account to complete payment.