Part of the Capital Markets Series
Supported by the Financial Markets Committee
Join us for a breakfast with Charles Li, Chief Executive of Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited (HKEX).
Charles Li will share his thoughts on role that Hong Kong’s capital markets can play in the context of the current fast changing macro political, economic and business environment. He will look at Hong Kong’s role in global financial markets, its international competitive positioning, the opportunities that the Greater Bay Area will bring for Hong Kong, and the role of technology in the future of financial services. He will set out his strategic thinking on how HKEX can continue to act as a connector between East and West, and why Hong Kong’s financial services industry is more relevant than it has ever been.
About the speaker
Charles Li has served as Chief Executive of HKEX since 2010. In this role, Charles has orchestrated some of the most significant strategic initiatives in HKEX’s history, including the acquisition of the London Metal Exchange in 2012, the launch of OTC Clear in 2013, and the introduction of Shanghai-Hong Kong Stock Connect in 2014, Shenzhen-Hong Kong Stock Connect in 2016, and Bond Connect in 2017. He has sought to strengthen Hong Kong’s role as an offshore Renminbi hub and led HKEX’s efforts to reform its listing regime to maintain Hong Kong’s competitiveness and secure its position as a leading IPO centre.
Charles was born in Beijing and grew up in Gansu. Before leaving China for further study, he was an offshore oil worker in the North China Sea and then an editor-reporter for China Daily. After completing his Juris Doctor (JD) degree in the US, Charles practiced law in New York with Davis Polk & Wardwell and Brown & Wood. Before joining HKEX, he was Chairman of JP Morgan China, prior to which he was President of Merrill Lynch China.
Charles obtained a BA degree in English literature from Xiamen University in 1984, an MA degree in journalism from the University of Alabama in 1988, and a JD degree from Columbia University School of Law in 1991.
Ticket includes a full hot set breakfast.
- Member: HK$ 480
- Non-Member: HK$ 580
- Y-Network Member: HK$ 450
- Start-up Member: HK$ 450
Terms & Conditions
- Reservations in advance are required. Please consider your booking confirmed unless notified otherwise.
- Cancellations must be made in writing 24 hours prior to the event. No shows will be charged.
- This event is closed to the media.
- The event will be cancelled if the No.8 Typhoon signal or the Black Rain Storm warning is in force.
- By attending this event, you agree to be photographed and/or filmed and give permission to use your likeness in promotional and/or marketing materials.
- For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please make cheques payable to: "The British Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong" & send it to Room 1201 Emperor Group Centre, 288 Hennessy Road, Hong Kong